Trial of 49 people including Arsa chief commander started, arrest warrant issued

The court accepted the charge sheet in the case of murder of DGFI officer (squadron leader) Rizwan Rushdi in joint anti-narcotics operation at Tumbru border in Naikshyongchari, Bandarban. The Chief Judicial Magistrate Court of Bandarban accepted this charge sheet on Monday. Through this, the trial of Arsa chief commander Ataullah Abu Ammar Jununi and the accused began. At the same time, the court has also issued an arrest warrant against the accused.

Before this, the field officer of DGFI Cox’s Bazar office at Naikshyongchari police station on November 23, 2022 in connection with this murder. Anwar Hossain became the plaintiff and named 31 people including Arsa chief commander Ataullah Abu Ammar Jununi and accused 30-35 others of murder. After a long investigation, on November 15, the investigating officer of the case and the in-charge (inspector) of Ghumdhum Police Investigation Center of Naikxyongchari, Mahfuz Imtiaz Bhuiyan, filed a charge sheet (charge sheet) against 49 people, including Ataullah, the chief commander of Bhui Arsa, in the Bandarban Chief Judicial Magistrate Court. Anwar Hossain told Prothom Alo that the charge sheet of the murder case has been accepted by the court. Now the legal proceedings will begin.

According to the statement of the case, on the evening of November 14 last year, a special team of RAB and DGFI was involved in an anti-narcotics operation near the Rohingya shelter camp on the Zero Line of Tumbru border. At that time, DGFI squadron leader Rizwan Rushdi was shot dead by Arsa terrorists. Sohel Barua, a member of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB)-15 Cox’s Bazar, was shot dead. Apart from this, a Rohingya girl named Sajeda Begum (20) was also killed in the zero line shelter camp.

According to the police, the main accused in the case filed at Naikshyongchari police station is Arsa commander Ataullah Abu Ammar Jununi. Along with him, Chairman Rohingya Master Dil Mohammad, Secretary Maulvi Arif, Arsa Commander Ustad Khaled, Maulana Mostafa, Abdur Rahman, Arsa members Zubair, Shaker Kawsar, Noman Chowdhury, Jinnat Ullah, Lal Mohammad, Hafiz Noor, Chairman of the Zero Line Shelter Camp Management Committee (now the shelter is no longer there). Rahim Ullah, Moulvi Aziz and other accused have not been arrested by the police so far.

Mahfuz Imtiaz Bhuiyan, the investigating officer of the case, told Prothom Alo that all the accused are Rohingya who have infiltrated Myanmar. After the killings, the accused went into hiding in Myanmar’s Rakhine state from Tumbru border. Meanwhile, the law enforcement forces have arrested 13 Arsa terrorists involved in the murder, but Ataullah and the main masterminds remain out of touch. Cross-border operations in Rakhine State are outside the jurisdiction of the police. However, law and order forces are trying to catch the accused in various ways.

According to police and local public representatives, 4 thousand 300 Rohingyas from 621 families were living in that shelter camp on the zero line of Tumbru border. The shooting death of an intelligence officer has sparked conflict among Rohingyas living in refugee camps across the Zero Line. On January 15, the rival terrorist group set fire to Arsa base on the zero line. At this time, the entire Rohingya settlement of the shelter camp was burnt to ashes. Later, more than 3,000 Rohingya were transferred to various Rohingya shelter camps in Ukhia, but the identified Rohingya including the main terrorists of Arsa hid in the mountains of Myanmar’s Rakhine State.

Currently, the number of Rohingyas registered in 33 shelter camps in Ukhia and Teknaf is 1.25 million. Of this, eight lakhs came in the few months after August 25, 2017. Not a single Rohingya has been sent back to Myanmar in the last six years. According to the [ prothomalo ]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *