Death in explosion, evidence destroyed due to police 'negligence'

Death in explosion, evidence destroyed due to police ‘negligence’

Fazlu Sheikh (45) of Kushtia was burnt in a bomb blast at the house of Motaleb Hossain Sarkar in Subarnsara village of Belkuchi upazila of Sirajganj. He died in Dhaka Medical College Hospital after being under treatment for three days. These facts have been highlighted in the report of the condition of the body made by the Shahbag police station. The doctor mentioned in his death certificate that Fazlu Sheikh died of burns due to bomb blast.

The explosion happened last Tuesday around 12:30 pm. Fazlu died on Friday. After the post-mortem, his body was handed over to his family this afternoon. Relatives said that Fazlur’s village house is in Jhilpara village of Kushtia Sadar. He has two daughters and a son. Fazlu alone used to sell Jhalmuri from Nabinagar area of Ashulia in Savar. They have no idea how he got to Motaleb’s house in Sirajganj.

Motaleb, in whose house the explosion took place, is associated with the politics of the local Sramik League. He is a Member of Parliament for Sirajganj-5 Constituency (Belkuchi-Chowhali) and a follower of Abdul Momin Mondal, who is a candidate for this constituency in the 12th National Parliament Election. Mayor of Belkuchi municipality Sajjadul Haque has alleged that Fazlu died in an explosion while making a bomb at Motaleb’s house around the election.

The blast site is within 600 meters from Belkuchi police station. However, Belkuchi Police Station Officer-in-Charge (OC) Anichur Rahman has not been able to confirm the death of a person seriously injured in the explosion. He said that the matter is still under investigation.

Although the police failed to investigate the incident, a team from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of the police went to the spot today. When asked, CID inspector Mohaiminul Hossain told Prothom Alo that the police station or the district police did not inform them about the explosion. After receiving the news of the bomb blast in the media, they went to the spot today and tried to collect evidence.

All signs have been destroyed
Fazlu Sheikh was killed in an explosion at Belkuchi in Sirajganj
Fazlu Sheikhchabi, who was killed in an explosion in Sirajganj’s Belkuchi: Collected
On the surface today at around 11:30 a.m., it can be seen that Motaleb’s house has one room on both floors of the two-story building built on a canal behind the house. The room on the ground floor of the building is empty. The second floor room is quite tidy. There is some expensive furniture including a bed. A small balcony is next to this room. All rooms and balconies are tiled. The members of the house said that the explosion happened in this balcony. However, the damaged tiles were removed and new tiles were installed there.

CID officer Mohaiminul Hossain said, there is no sign of explosion left at the scene. Some fragments of blast-damaged tiles were collected from the water in the adjacent bill. Now these are the ones to check.
Those concerned say that it was not possible to collect evidence from the scene immediately due to the role of the police station. Because in such a sensitive incident, the police station must inform the specialized department of the police. Officers of specialized units or departments collect evidence and investigate the cause of the explosion. Here the questionable role of the police station has created an opportunity to destroy evidence. Tiles are quickly installed in the damaged area.

When asked about this, Belkuchi police station OC Anichur Rahman said that after receiving the news of the explosion, they went to the spot and found that some tiles were damaged. The women in that house said that the pressure cooker exploded while cooking. The tiles of the house were damaged. They told the police that no one was injured in the incident. Whether anyone was injured is still under investigation. The link between the incident and the deceased is also under investigation.

Prothom Alo reporter went to that area on the day and night of the incident and spoke with four or five eyewitnesses. They said that after the loud explosion, when the people of the neighborhood came forward, no one was allowed to enter the house. After some time a black colored microbus came and left again. Motaleb was also seen at that time. However, they did not understand what or who was taken in the microbus. Full news here to the prothomalo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *